Have you ever landed on a 404 error page while browsing a website? It can be frustrating and confusing, right? As a website owner, you don’t want your visitors to have that experience on your site.
That’s why adding a custom 404 page in WordPress is essential.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into the reasons why and when you should add a custom 404 page, as well as the steps to create one.
We’ll also provide solutions to common issues you may encounter when adding a custom 404 page.
With our expert advice, you’ll be able to create a custom 404 page that improves user experience, keeps visitors on your site, and helps with SEO.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to Add Custom 404 Page In WordPress, check out this video tutorial:
How To Add Custom 404 Page In WordPress?
Here is how to add a custom 404 page in WordPress:
- Open your WordPress dashboard and go to plugins.
- Click on “Add New” and search for “404 page”.
- Install the plugin and activate it.
- Create a new page for your 404 page by going to the “Pages” section and clicking on “Add New”.
- Give your 404 page a title and add some text such as “The page you requested could not be found. Go to the home page.”.
- Select the “Home” text and add your website URL.
- Click on “Publish”.
- Go to the dashboard, your 404 page is now ready.
- Hover over “Appearance” and click on “404 Error Page”.
- Select the page where you want to show the 404 page.
- Click on “Set Changes”.
- Test the error by going to a non-existent page on your website.
- Your custom 404 page should now be displayed.
Make sure to add the HTML markup language to your code for proper formatting.
Can’t Add Custom 404 Page In WordPress – How to fix it?
If you’re having trouble adding a custom 404 page in WordPress, there are a few possible solutions you can try. Here are some suggestions:
1. Install a 404 plugin: One of the easiest ways to add a custom 404 page in WordPress is to use a plugin. As shown in the video transcript, you can search for a 404 plugin in the WordPress plugin directory, install and activate it, and then create a new page for your 404 content.
2. Create a custom page template: If you prefer not to use a plugin, you can create a custom page template for your 404 page. To do this, you’ll need to create a new PHP file in your WordPress theme folder and add some code to it. You can find tutorials online that walk you through the process.
3. Edit your .htaccess file: Another option is to edit your .htaccess file to redirect all 404 errors to a custom page. This method requires some technical knowledge, so it’s not recommended for beginners. You’ll need to add some code to your .htaccess file that tells the server to redirect all 404 errors to a specific page.
4. Contact your hosting provider: If none of the above solutions work, you may need to contact your hosting provider for assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue or provide you with additional resources.
In conclusion, adding a custom 404 page in WordPress is a simple process that can be accomplished in a few different ways. By using a plugin, creating a custom page template, editing your .htaccess file, or seeking help from your hosting provider, you can ensure that your visitors have a better user experience when encountering a 404 error on your website.
Why and When Should You Add Custom 404 Page In WordPress?
Adding a custom 404 page in WordPress is essential for several reasons. Here are some of the reasons why and when you should add a custom 404 page in WordPress:
- Improves User Experience: When a user lands on a 404 error page, it can be frustrating and confusing. A custom 404 page can help improve the user experience by providing a clear message and direction for the user.
- Keeps Visitors on Your Site: A custom 404 page can help keep visitors on your site by providing links to other pages on your site. This can help reduce bounce rates and increase engagement.
- Helps with SEO: A custom 404 page can also help with SEO by providing a better user experience and reducing bounce rates. This can help improve your site’s search engine rankings.
- Easy to Create: Creating a custom 404 page in WordPress is easy and can be done with a plugin. Simply install and activate a 404 page plugin, create a new page, and set it as your 404 page in your WordPress dashboard.
- Customizable: A custom 404 page can be customized to match your site’s branding and design. This can help provide a cohesive user experience across your site.
In conclusion, adding a custom 404 page in WordPress is a simple and effective way to improve the user experience, keep visitors on your site, and improve your site’s SEO.
Conclusion – Add Custom 404 Page In WordPress
In summary, adding a custom 404 page in WordPress is crucial for improving user experience, reducing bounce rates, and enhancing your site’s SEO.
With the easy-to-follow steps and solutions provided in this blog post, you can create a custom 404 page that matches your site’s branding and design.
Whether you choose to use a plugin, create a custom page template, edit your .htaccess file, or seek help from your hosting provider, adding a custom 404 page is a simple process that can have a significant impact on your site’s success.
So, don’t let your visitors get frustrated and confused by landing on a generic 404 error page.
Instead, create a custom 404 page that keeps them engaged and on your site.