Are you struggling to organize the content on your WordPress website? Do you find it challenging to navigate through your posts and pages? Adding categories in WordPress can help you solve these problems.
Categories are a powerful tool that can help you organize your content, improve user experience, and boost your website’s SEO.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of adding categories in WordPress.
We will also discuss some common issues that users face while creating categories and provide solutions to fix them.
Additionally, we will explain why and when you should add categories to your WordPress site.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to Add Categories In WordPress, check out this video tutorial:
How To Add Categories In WordPress?
Here is how to Add Categories In WordPress:
- First, navigate to the Posts section in your WordPress dashboard.
- Locate the post that you want to add a category to and click on the Edit button.
- To the right-hand side of the post editor, you will see the Categories option. Click on it to expand the section.
- If the post is currently in the Uncategorized category, you will see it listed under the Categories section. To create a new category, click on the + Add New Category link.
- In the text field that appears, enter the name of your new category.
- If you want to set the new category under a parent category, select the desired parent category from the Parent Category dropdown menu.
- Once you have entered the category name and selected a parent category (if applicable), click on the Add New Category button to create the new category.
- You will now see your newly created category listed under the Categories section. To set the post to this category, simply check the box next to the category name.
- If you want to remove the post from the Uncategorized category, uncheck the box next to it.
- Finally, click on the Update button to save your changes and set the post to the new category.
That’s it! You have successfully added a new category to your WordPress site and set a post to that category. Repeat these steps as needed to create additional categories and organize your content.
Can’t Add Categories In WordPress – How to Fix It?
Adding categories in WordPress is a simple process, but sometimes users may face issues while creating or adding categories to their posts. If you are unable to add categories in WordPress, here are some possible solutions to fix it:
1. Clear Your Browser Cache
Sometimes, the issue may be caused by a browser cache problem. Clearing your browser cache can help you fix the issue. To clear your browser cache, go to your browser settings and clear your browsing history, cookies, and cache.
2. Check Your WordPress Plugins and Themes
Sometimes, conflicts between plugins and themes can cause issues with adding categories. Deactivate all your plugins and switch to the default WordPress theme to see if the issue is resolved. If it is, then activate your plugins and theme one by one to identify the one causing the issue.
3. Check Your User Permissions
If you are unable to add categories, it may be due to your user permissions. Make sure that your user role has the necessary permissions to create and manage categories. You can check your user role and permissions in the Users section of your WordPress dashboard.
4. Disable Custom Code
If you have added custom code to your WordPress site, it may be causing conflicts with category creation. Disable any custom code you have added and check if the issue is resolved.
5. Reinstall WordPress
If none of the above solutions work, you may need to reinstall WordPress. Before doing so, make sure to backup your site and database. Reinstalling WordPress can help you fix any underlying issues that may be causing the problem.
In conclusion, if you are unable to add categories in WordPress, try the above solutions to fix the issue. If the problem persists, contact your hosting provider or WordPress support for further assistance.
Why and when should you Add Categories In WordPress?
Adding categories in WordPress is an essential step for organizing your website’s content. Here are some reasons why and when you should add categories:
- Improved user experience: Categories help visitors to navigate your website easily by grouping related content together. It makes it easier for them to find the content they are interested in.
- SEO benefits: Categories help search engines to understand the structure of your website, which can improve your website’s ranking in search results.
- Better content management: Categories make it easier for you to manage your website’s content. By organizing your content into categories, you can quickly find and edit specific posts.
- Creating a content strategy: Categories can help you to create a content strategy by identifying the topics you want to cover on your website. By creating categories for each topic, you can plan your content creation more effectively.
You should add categories when you start creating content for your website. It’s important to plan your categories carefully and create a structure that makes sense for your website. You can also add new categories as your website grows and your content evolves. Remember to keep your categories organized and relevant to your website’s content.
Conclusion – Add Categories In WordPress
Adding categories in WordPress is a crucial step in organizing your website’s content, improving user experience, and boosting your website’s SEO.
By following the simple steps outlined in this blog post, you can easily add categories to your WordPress site and manage your content effectively.
In case you face any issues while creating or adding categories, you can refer to the solutions provided in this article.
Remember to plan your categories carefully and keep them organized and relevant to your website’s content.
By doing so, you can create a well-structured and user-friendly website that visitors will love.